I have had the opportunity to study in a group class and also one-to-one. There are many difference and both have their pros and cons and so what I’ll do is list them for you.
· You are able to develop and learn at your own pace
· All class time is focussed around you so your speaking will improve relatively better than group classes where the time is split
· You aren’t held up by anyone else, which happens often in group classes
· Your teacher can spot any weakness you have and concentrate on them
· Usually more expensive
· You won’t learn from others’ mistake
· You won’t get a chance to practice with others in class
· You can’t evaluate your learning in comparison to others
· Usually cheaper
· You can learn from others’ mistakes
· You can interact and practice with others
· Can take the spotlight off you for a while
· Can see if you’re doing well comparatively or not
· Learning atmosphere can be more fun with classmates
· Others can hold you back. A lot of time will be spent listening to others read and speak to the teacher and generally if you’re not a strong speaker than you might feel intimated.
· You won’t get that personal attention especially with your speaking and reading
· The class might be going too fast for you and your missing things
· The saving in cost can be outweighed by the loss of personal time with the teacher
From my experiences I didn’t enjoy group classes. Even though I got on really well with all my classmates, I felt i was being held back as a lot of time was wasted listening to others and i wasn’t able to develop my speaking. When I moved to one-to-classes the teacher noticed that I was struggling with my speaking and focussed on that a lot and I feel the benefits. This is just one account and I’m sure others have different conclusions than me.
Hope it helps
And Allah knows best